About the Diverse WA training package
This training package was developed on behalf of the State Government by the Office of Multicultural Interests (OMI), then part of the Department of Local Government and Communities, in partnership with the Public Sector Commission. The Department of Human Services' Multicultural Customer Service Training package was modified, adapted and updated to produce Diverse WA.
Diverse WA is an introductory training package that is delivered in an online format. This gives you the flexibility to start, pause and recommence your training at anytime, from anywhere and at your own pace. It contains useful links and guides that you can use in your work. The information will be continually updated to ensure you have ready access to accurate and timely information about diversity in Western Australia.
Completing Diverse WA will help you develop the knowledge, skills and awareness to work in culturally competent ways. This will:
- help you to work more effectively in a culturally diverse environment
- contribute to your own professional development
- enable you to develop positive working relationships with the clients, colleagues and communities you work with.
You will receive a certificate of completion after completing all content, surveys and quizzes in the course, or you can choose to print a module specific completion certificate when you have finished it. Please consult your HR/Line Manager to clarify what you are required to complete.
Diverse WA can help you to develop your cultural competency by:
- explaining the Western Australian Government’s commitment to supporting diversity
- providing information on Western Australia’s cultural diversity and its benefits
- examining the policies, resources and services that support Western Australia’s diverse communities
- increasing your understanding of culture, including your own
- explaining what cultural competency is and how it is developed
- developing your cultural awareness
- building on your cross-cultural communication skills.
How to access the package
- If you are an employee of a WA public sector agency or local government authority you can access the program now by using your email address
If you are an employee of a not-for-profit organisation your agency must first sign up as a 'user'. To find out more, email firstname.lastname@example.org